May 15 My May Birchbox
I’ll be honest…not my favorite Birchbox (especially since I’ve been loving them recently).
Here’s what I got:
May 2013 Birchbox
- Cargo Water Resistant Blush in ‘Bali’ This was probably the one redeeming product in this box. I really love this blush! The color is a super pretty “doll” pink and applies really nicely. The pigmentation is very strong, so only a little bit is needed. I’m not really sure about the waterproof claim because I haven’t really payed attention to it, but it does seem like it would last for awhile because of the texture.
- COOLA Classic SPF 30 Cucumber Moisturizer for Face I don’t really like receiving moisturizers, so I haven’t tried this yet. Fortunately, its SPF 30 which is what I use on a daily basis, so I could see this coming in handy for travel.
- Marvis Toothpaste Toothpaste?? Okay. I mean…I’ll definitely try this and it will be great for travel as well, but I’d really have preferred something different.
- Miss Jessie’s® Original Jelly Soft Curls Okay, I LOVE Miss Jessie’s and use Quick Curls regularly (which I discovered through Birchbox), but this is the 3rd Miss Jessie’s product I’ve received from them in a fairly short time period so I’m not too thrilled. I’ll definitely try this, but I’d be more excited about it if it were at least in a tube and not in the foil packets which are difficult to use. I could also get these exact packets for free off Miss Jessie’s website, so I don’t feel like they are a “deluxe” sample.
- Pilot Corporation of America Acroball PureWhite® (in purple) This pen was actually my second favorite product in the box, oddly enough! The color I got is purple…and I was totally surprised to find out it actually wrote in purple (as opposed to just a purple pen that wrote in black/blue). It writes really nicely as well, unlike a lot of pens that are funky colors. I’d love to try the pink one!
How were your Birchboxes? Did you make out better than I did?
Filed Under: Birchbox
, Mini Reviews
| Tags: Cargo
, Miss Jessie’s
May 9 Lilly Brush Review – Save Your Sweaters!
I first found out about the Lilly Brush through Kristin’s blog, Meet Me on the Bright Side! I saw that she sampled it through iFabbo, so since I’m a member as well I was able to try out this brush too. I’ve been looking around for something like this because I have so much clothing that seems to have fuzzies and piling all over the place (sweaters, pants, etc).
The Lilly Brush in graphite gray.
While trying to figure out what piece of clothing I’d try the brush out on for this review, I realized the leggings I was wearing (from intiMint) would be the perfect candidate. After washing them a number of times, they’ve begun to start piling and loosing their softness. Enter the Lily brush!
Before using the Lilly Brush
After using the Lilly Brush
As you can see, BIG difference from before and after using the Lily Brush. It does take a little bit of time (and a little bit of arm work…but its good exercise!) to get all the piling off, but it does indeed work! While its meant for sweaters, I’ve actually used it on all kinds of things, including a little rug that I have which never seems to get clean with a vacuum (hairs just stick to it constantly). The Lilly brush was able to remove them so that it looks nice and clean. Kristin’s blog that I linked above actually has a great before and after of a sweater, if you’d like to see how it works on sweaters.
The Lilly Brush is also pretty inexpensive ($12.95) and comes in the grey (shown above) as well as bright red. I also love the fact that it has a little case/top…perfect for travel. Check out the Lilly Brush website for more information and to pick one up for yourself!
* Product provided by Lilly Brush, reviews and opinions are my own
Filed Under: Beauty Tools
, Full Reviews
, Home Care
| Tags: Lilly Brush
Apr 30 April Favorites
Time for April Favorites! I actually have quite a few favorites this month since I’ve been shopping a great deal more (and I also forgot to do a March Favorites last month).
Here’s what I’ve been loving!…
What products have you guys been loving this month?
Filed Under: Monthly Favorites
| Tags: Korres
, Paula's Choice
, Urban Decay
Apr 24 Birchbox Home: From the Garden
Hello all! I received an email a couple weeks ago from Birchbox advertising their new limited edition Birchbox Home: From the Garden Box. I loved their previous Birchbox Home box (review here) that I placed an order pretty much instantly! Unfortunately the box is now sold out, but you can still buy the full size products separately.
- Sarabeth’s Legendary Spreadable Fruit: I received two mini jars of this spreadable fruit in “Peach Apricot” and “Strawberry Raspberry”. I’m honestly not a huge preserves/jam person, but I did try out the Peach Apricot and it was pretty good. The jars are quite small though…I would say one would last for maybe a 2-3 slices of toast, but maybe I just put on too much =p
- Gift Republic Grow Me: Mini Herb and Vegetable Growing Kits: This was one of the main reasons I decided to pick up this box! I tried growing basil last year, and although I ended up with some it wasn’t too successful. I used this little kit over the weekend and its currently sitting on my window. Its verrrry small but should still hopefully work. I wish the instructions were a little more detailed though for those of us with black thumbs haha.
- BAGGU® Market Shopping Bag: Living in the city without a car, I’m always using these little reusable bags! They especially come in handy for grocery shopping. The design I got kinda looks like its from a 90′s sitcom, but it still gets the job done. lol
- Birchbox Shopping List: This is a cute shopping list and I love that it has lines, unlike post notepads I have. I really wish it came with magnets so I could put it on the fridge though. I might buy some and add it to the back.
- Core Bamboo Radish Print Utility Knife: This is an adorable little knife! (I never though I’d use “adorable” and “knife” in the same sentence but there ya go). I used it to peel some ginger the other day, and it was very easy because of the small size and sharpness of the knife.
- TOCCA Crema da Mano Luxe: This cream was a huge surprise, because I was expecting a tiny little sample size hand cream. Instead, this cream is FULL size and the packaging is so gorgeous! The scent I received was “Cleopatra” (grapefruit & cucumber), which is light and refreshing. The cream itself works well enough. Its not super moisturizing, but it gets the job done.
- LAFCO Little Luxuries Candle Tin: The scent I got was “Mint”, which is awesome since I’m totally on a mint kick. The tin is really pretty and has that apothecary look to it. It has a little indentation on the top, which happens to fit the matches that also came in the box perfectly (guessing its supposed to). I don’t use matches, though…always seem to light one then freak out that my fingers are going to burn off so I blow it out. haha. The scent fills small areas very nicely but isn’t too overpowering.
- L’OCCITANE La Collection de Grasse: I love the scent I got (“Jasmine & Bergamote”) since I’m a huge jasmine fan and most of my perfumes include jasmine. However, I’m super disappointed that this isn’t a spray top, especially since its huge a large sample size. *sigh*
I hope they keep releasing these limited edition Home boxes because I’m loving them!
Filed Under: Bath & Body
, Home Care
, Mini Reviews
| Tags: Baggu
, Gift Republic
Apr 18 Sephora Birthday Haul
Stopped in at Sephora a couple days ago to use their Beauty Insiders 15% off coupon (if you have the same coupon, you can use it through 4/21!) as well as pick up my birthday sample set. I also happened to have a $25 gift card to use so I picked up a couple full size items:
- Urban Decay Brightening & Tightening Primer Potion I haven’t used a primer regularly for awhile. The last one I used was by Revlon which I loved but I couldn’t stand the bottle design which made it difficult to use. I did some research on Beautypedia, and this primer came up as one of the best options. I’ve used it for a couple days now and I’m hoping it doesn’t break me out like other primers do (it doesn’t have an overly silicone feel to it). Will review it when I’ve used it a little longer!
- Korres Lip Butter in “Pomegranate”: LOVE!! I’ve reviewed Korres’ lip butter in “Quince” before so you know I love these lip butters! “Quince” was a tad too red for me for everyday use, but the “Pomegranate” is perfect! Its that “your lips but better” color that I always try to find but can never get quite right (either the color is to dark or I don’t like the formula). It also doesn’t have an overly glossy finish. The only downside to these lip butters is having to dip your finger in the container, but that won’t stop me from picking up more. I’m glad to finally have an alternative to the Fresh Sugar lip treatment in “Rose” which is twice the price.
- Benefit Cosmetics “They’re Real” Mascara: This is a pretty hyped mascara, and with good reason. The bristles are very long and sturdy, so they really do a great job of separating your lashes as well as lengthening without having to work for it or apply a ton of coats. I still stick to drugstore mascaras because of the price and how often they need to be replaced, but if you were to go high end I would totally pick up a full size of this!
- Benefit Cosmetics “Watt’s Up?” Highlighter: I’ve been dying to try this highlighter so I’m glad that it was part of the sample set! I haven’t had time to use it yet, but the little swatch I did on my hand is nice…a little more sparkly than I would like but I haven’t tried it on my face yet so we shall see.
Sephora always has the best birthday sample sets…last year was the Fresh Sugar lip treatment minis which I love, and this year is my favorite brand, Benefit. Hopefully the trend will continue! =p
Filed Under: Mini Reviews | Tags: Benefit Cosmetics, Korres, Urban Decay